Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Britain 1915 Morane-Saulnier Type N

Morane-Saulnier Type N in the Royal Flying Corps


Today I am wrapping up my series on the Morane-Saulnier Type N with some examples Flown by the British Royal Flying Corps. Throughout the early days of the war Britain operated many French designs. Some of the types used were manufactured by Caudron, Farman, Morane-Saulnier, Nieuport, and SPAD. Eventually Britain manufactured some of these types under license. Eventually British aircraft companies provided the bulk of the designs flown by the RFC and RNS.



This example is less gaudy than most Morane-Saulnier Type N you see. As with most British aircraft National Roundels are paint on the side of the fuselage. Another common theme is the serial numbers run parallel with the line of the fuselage and are not painted following the center line.



Not all pilots flying the Type N kept the conic prop cover. Some removed it to provide better cooling for the engine and to prevent it from coming loose from vibration from both the engine and impacts of bullets striking the deflector guards.



This paint schme is fairly common except for the tri-color stripe running diagonally on the fuselage.The Morane-Saulnier logo on the cowling is painted black instead of white. The rudders on British Type N carry no markings.


3 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Nice and sleek, what's next on the agenda?

Unknown said...

Thanks Fran, I loved the plane ever since I built my first kit of one.

As for what's next, I am working on doing articles on the large units and the Squads, Escadrilles or Jasta, etc in that unit for my main site. It will have aircraft profiles photos of the pilots and short bio for that period with links to full biography pages and time-lines. I will be posting excerpts as the project progresses.

So far I have the templates set up and I have been working in depth on the 1st Pursuit Squadron U.S.A.S because it has a lot of the pilots who also served in the Lafayette Escadrille AKA Escadrille 124.

It may take time to get it all squared away, but I tae bereaks and work on making new masters. At the moment I have been working on the other Nieuports, and Morain-Saulnier types. I will be back to work on the Germans and Austrians eventually, that way I can do more Turkish and Polish aircraft.

Cheers

Will

Jon Yuengling said...

This has always been a favorite aircraft of mine. Also good to hear about the Turkish and Polish aircraft.