Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Albatros Project part 7

A Change of Plans

The best laid plans can often go awry, so the old saw goes. This is the case today, I had planned on posting an article on Jagdgeschwader Nr.2, however the research has taken a detour and I was not happy with the article as is. So I am tabling it while I take time researching and rethinking some issues. In the mean time I will just post some pretty pictures of Albatros D.V aircraft.

Jasta 12 aircraft were identified by white noses and either black or white rear sections. When Jasta 12 ws incorporated into Jagdgeschwader Nr.I in 1918 Rudolf Berthold who was the commander at the time set the main fuselage color to blue with a white nose.

Jasta 17 used a white empanage and tail plane as their identifier. Many examples use a contrasting color for the rear section of the rudder. The lightening bolt has been used on other Albatros D.V aircraft, Most notibly Joachim von Hippel from Jasta 5, although that aircraft' insignia was black with a white border on a silvery gray fuselage

Jasta 76b was a Bavarian unit which used distinctive blue and white stripes or the Bavarian checked pattern. This is one of the Albatros D.V's flown by Walter_Boning.

Jasta 77b was a Bavarian unit. Jatsa 77b was easily identified by their blue empanage many had a white stripe just ahead of the rudder which the white border of the cross touched. This example has a unique black and white design which is very distinctive.

3 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

They are simply lovely looking planes...the form is very aethetic and lends itsself to such great colour designs. That Adolf Shreder plane is lovely..
Cheers
paul

The Angry Lurker said...

They're very pretty, amazing designs, such pride.

Unknown said...

Thanks Mates, It never seems like I will run out of aircraft to draw. I have got a bit obsessive lately concentrating on more known aircraft in search of completeness, I am getting close to at least 50 profiles each for Fokker triplanes, Fokker D.VII, Albatros D.V, and Albatros D.III. The only down side is I had a lot of my masters archived on a memory stick which got damaged recently, so I need to redo a lot off my master files. only up side to that is the drawing is always better the second time around.