Sunday, July 31, 2011

German Fighters 1916-1918

Starting August with a Bang

I decided to post a few of the new profiles I have done. When I look at my search query stats one thing is obvious. People are looking for German paint schemes. So your wish is my command. These examples were chosen because they were easy on the eye and gave me a hook to hang some commentary on. I hope you enjoy them, and I brightened your Monday.

This Albatros D.III was assigned to Jasta Boelcke. The Jasta was the second Jasta formed; however the name Jasta 2 is seldom used. The pattern of yellow dots on a dark green background served as a dazzle camouflage scheme. It is a pattern unique to this plane.

This Albatros was flown by Ernest von Altaus in 1917. Many of the aircraft assigned to Jasta 10 were painted yellow. In some cases you will find yellow spinners and details instead.

The Fokker Dr.I shown above is a plane flown flown by Rudolph Stark. His personal markings always consisted of lavender stripes. The "b" suffix on the Jasta number denotes a Bavarian unit. During the First World War Germany was still divided into old feudal states who demanded their own units. You will see units with w for Westphalia Württemberg, and s for Saxony, as well as b for Bavaria.

The Fokker D.VII shown above is another plane flown by Rudolph Stark. His personal markings always consisted of lavender stripes. Several replicas are in museums around the world.

5 comments:

Jon Yuengling said...

Is there any good books on the different forces, Saxon, Bavarian and/or Wesfalian?

Unknown said...

Please note the errata, I was having a senior moment.

@Jon, I need to dig around to give you an answer.

Anonymous said...

Lovely schemes, very nice

Unknown said...

Thanks, I enjoy doing them. What I show here is the tip of the iceberg.

ground support equipment for aircraft said...

Thanks boucher for share these suggestions. Errata would have been better option.