Friday, June 10, 2011

The Albatros Project Part 4

When Will it Ever End?!?

Yes I know, another bout of Albatros Mania has gripped me. I have started a new practice. I am now building up files with all the insignias and numbers required for particular aircraft. They can best be described as virtual decal sheets. I draw up elements and save them on separate layers so I can grab them and apply to a working drawing.

I think I will be shifting my focus to exotic Austrian aircraft again. I have a couple odd birds in work which will have readers scratching their heads wondering why did they even bother to build that. though to me t seems to be the same reason I draw them... Because I can.

KP I promise I will not make you wait for Camels in Foreign service much longer. I am already working on the post.

This Albatros D.I has an interesting camouflage pattern on the rudder and upper deck of the fuselage. This plane served well past the time it became obsolete.

This D.II has the personal insignia of Robert Dycke. It is a Bavarian crest on a white diamond with a black border. It was a fun insignia to make.

The Albatros D.III called Die Blaue Maus during early November of 1917. This aircraft was flown by 2nd Lt.Frommherz and probably Werner Voss.

Jasta 18 is a very recognizable unit. The dark blue and red aircraft bore many interesting personal insignia. Surprisingly the horseshoe was more of a bother than the cloverleaf. He good thing is I now have it on file to use like a decal if I find another plane bearing it.

5 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Little works of art those aircraft, beautifully done.

kingsleypark said...

The camo on Buttner's DI looks almost like the markings of a Giraffe!!!

Where did the inspiration for that camo scheme come from?? And would it have appeared on the top wing as well?

Unknown said...

Thanks Fran, some days I think I am finally hitting my stride.

@kp, yes it does look a bit like a giraffe. There is one which is even closer, it has the same colors as a giraffe's hide.

The wing tops are done in a standard early German green and brown scheme. The upper surface of the top wing and the bottom wing pair is done l/r as brown, green, brown, green with the iron cross insignia on square white fields in the typical positions. Lower wings are standard pale blue.

The top of the tailplane is done in a brown, green, brown scheme.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Cheers

Will

Spit said...

Hello Will,

Congratulations for your Art Work !
Very nice aircraft profile !
have a good day
Spit (From FRANCE)

Unknown said...

Thank you Spit, I am glad you like them.

Cheers

Will