Another Colorful American Fighter
I remember the first time I saw this aircraft. I liked the clean lines of the design and I had to do more research to find what I needed to make a profile. I had found a line drawing on The Blueprints.com to give me the proportions and plenty of color photos to use for the finish. The fun part was the multiple color camouflage paint scheme. I am working on a new page for the blog on tricks for easy camouflage. The short explanation is to create a stack of multiple layers of the fuselage. Make sure you keep a black and white monochrome layer to use to add shading effects. I then colorize and adjust luminosity them to match each color needed, the order in the stack matters. Then I remove the area which will reveal the next color. Work your way down the stack until you are happy with the look.
The LUSAC-11 (Le Peré United States Army Combat) was an early American Army two-seat fighter aircraft. It was designed during World War I and ordered in large numbers, but the contract was cancelled at the end of the war, and only 30 were built. The type was used for experimental purposes, setting several altitude records during the 1920s.
- "Packard-Le Peré LUSAC-11". (2010, December 12). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 23:54, January 15, 2011, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Packard-Le_Per%C3%A9_LUSAC-11&oldid=401930379
- "Factsheets: Packard-Le Peré LUSAC 11". National Museum of the US Air Force. Retrieved 5 December 2010 from http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=325
- "The Royal Aero Club of the U.K.: Official Notices to Members". Flight 16 December 1920. Retrieved 23:57, January 15, 2011, http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1920/1920%20-%201272.html
- "An American Height Record". Flight 4 March 1920, p. 265. Retrieved 23:56, January 15, 2011, http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1920/1920%20-%200265.html
- Packard-Le Peré LUSAC-11 The-Blueprints.com Retrieved from http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ww1planes/ww1-usa/31365/view/le_pere_lusac_11/
- Angelucci, Enzo and Peter M. Bowers. The American Fighter. Sparkford, UK: Haynes Publishing Group, 1987, p. 195. ISBN 0-85429-635-2.
- "Eighteen Years of World's Records". Flight, 7 February 1924, pp. 73-75.
- Fitzsimons, Bernard, ed. "LUSAC-11, Packard-Le Peré". Illustrated Encyclopedia of 20th Century Weapons and Warfare. Volume 16, p.1782-3. London: Phoebus, 1978.
- Owers, Colin."Stop-Gap Fighter:The LUSAC Series". Air Enthusiast, Fifty, May to July 1993. pp. 49-51. Stamford, UK:Key Publishing. ISSN 0143-5450.